
I have always believed that it is a question of each individual artist’s conscience to produce works of the highest integrity, which by their very definition are compelling and move the boundaries of art ever forward. But living at a time when we have visual overload I am questioning my stance on this statement. Should an artist surrender to the ‘banality of populism’ to survive, or fight against the quick-silver flimflam of accepted perception the art establishment and public have of an artist?
I have uploaded a new work from my Fragment series, the paint is still wet and I am every excited about the development of this project. However, and this is not sour grapes on my part; but whoever has seen the art work, existing gallery representatives and collectors I deal with have all dismissed the series. At the time of writing, 10 independent minded (perhaps that was the wrong phase!) individuals have expressed a negative opinion.
I accept my Fragment series is a departure of my traditional painting style. But as a means to the development of my knowledge and craft the Fragment series has enabled me to reflect upon the different strands of the older modern traditions found in 20th century art. The exercise has matured my thoughts and I can see the new figurative style has enabled me to strengthen my compositions.
Has any other artist experienced this, or have they found a creative way of moving forward to achieve their artistic goal? For myself I feel in good company, after all at the time of Van Gogh, the Nemos’ of the world didn’t like his work either!

No comments:
Post a Comment