Wednesday, 17 December 2008

“Give them a bit of stick!”

Ma is devastated with the news she might be going into a nursing home. “It's for old people” she said, “old people like Fia”; (a Dutch girl friend with Alzheimer’s). Bravely fighting back the tears she spluttered, “I don’t want to be institutionalized, I’m too active in my mind and it hasn’t gone yet, I want to come home”.

Reassuringly her frail hand held in mine I replied, “it’s not just that mother, you have to show you can safely live alone, and the other day you did leave the water tap running”. Between more tears, she said, “I know, but I am learning, today in the Breakfast Club I got on every bodies nerves by reminding them to turn the taps off!” With her pluckish smile returned she said “Tell them I want to come home, I will recover quicker home, give them a bit of stick!” Dutifully, I spoke to the Matron.

She kindly made a few note, explained the guidelines and we finally came to an agreement that ma wouldn’t be moved without the family being involved. Everyone hopefully will now be happy.

The strain of live is telling on me, I’m unable to work, but consol myself with admin work and the bane of every successful painter their quarterly VAT return. Tomorrows another day.

No comments: