Yesterday was another day full of distractions, which I spent cleaning Ma’s kitchen in readiness for her home visit this morning. Its eight weeks since her stroke and will be strange to see and hear her again in the old ancestral home; the house my father and grandfather built in 1937. I had planned a trip to Cornwall today with my fellow artist and close friend Gordon Frickers (whom I consider and treat as my older – but not always wiser brother! ) who is staying with me for a few days, but Ma’s visit takes precedence so our planned visit is now cancelled. Pity because I was looking forward to the day’s outing, as Cornwall is even prettier in the Winter months and less congestive!
Ten O’clock, I heard Ma talking and looking up from my computer I saw the familiar red coat and body shape through the full glass back door of Ma. The lock turned and Ma accompanied by two hospital representatives’ entered to start her home assessment. She reminded me of Granny! I was so surprised to see her so frail, in hospital she seemed to be on the mend –making huge improvement to regaining her faculties and mobility. But, at home in her familiar surroundings it was a great surprise to witness her apparent inability to cope on her own. Observing her, it was quite obvious to me that she would require more supervision than I expected. We will have to wait and assess the recommendations the assessment report will suggest before jumping to conclusions.

I wasn’t surprised to see Ma unsettled in the garden with it’s over grown and uneven terrain. But, I was delighted to see her face when she saw her first primrose in full bloom.

No comments:
Post a Comment