Monday, 2 June 2008

Untitled at Chelsea

The drive to London is the normal tedious journey, although the highlight of the journey was driving through the flood. It happened just before Chudleigh, the traffic was diverted off the Express Way, and into a flooded road. It added 20 minutes to my journey.

Arrived in London just before 06:45 am and found the hotel without much trouble. It was a good choice of location, although the hotel looks quite a dump! Booked in and went to find suitable parking. I remembered that 10 years ago I parked just off Edith Grove in a car park where every other vehicle seemed to be a Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Porsche, et al., where the van will be locked in.

A quick breakfast 2 fried eggs, 2 sausages, 2 rashers, beans and toast in the aptly named Picasso cafĂ©, where I sat with some old friends; before visiting the exhibition to assess what I require. Walking around the other artist’s exhibiting seems to be so-so, with nothing really outstanding. However, as always there are always exceptions. I first became aware of Angela Newbury when I purchased her woodcut Sumo at the Royal Academy’s Summer Exhibition in 1996, she has intrigued me ever since.

There are two other artists who interested me. Jenny Beavan’s Matrix, a fired china clay placed within an acrylic resin and mounted upon a cube of polished granite. What was interesting, these little gems had sprouted crystals from the clay; which Jenny admitted was a happy accident. Finally Sian Hopkinson’s work was beautifully constructed and rendered. Appearing so simple her ability to observe and record is outstanding.

Returning to the logistics of the day, the phone call from Flora was an inconvenience, she is running late, so we have arranged to meet at the private view. I was hoping she would have given me a hand to unload the taxi with my art work. It’s not to be, so go a head on my own. Cost me £18 for the taxi ride! But arriving by taxi did save me from looking for a parking space for the van.

Not too much trouble presenting my work. It was completed within 30 minutes and it gave me plenty of time to look forward to Flora’s visit. She arrived at 16:00 and I was really pleased to see her again. I think its 12 months or more since we last met. She’s looking great. Thought appears tired.

No comments: