Friday, 11 March 2011

Learning to control your creatives highs and lows

Recently, I have discussed with two artist friends the aspect of ‘artistic withdrawal’ symptoms or AWS. AWS is not and should not be confused with‘writers block’ where the creative person is unable to think of anything. The nature of our discussion concentrated on the frustration creative’s sometimes experience when not creating. Our discourse was not concerned with the many reasons for these feelings, but centered on how best to overcome these feelings and resume creating.

For the record, non-creatives might be surprised to learn AWS is the Achilles heel of quite a few creatives. For my associates it has meant no new work for over four months. Of course this does not mean they have not worked, the artists’ mind is always active. Working incessantly towards an original idea. For myself, whether through University or just my own working method I have come to train myself to think laterally; which seems to keep me on constant level without too many mood swings. That’s not to say however that I don’t have my off days!

When I am feeling down, I am reminded of the wall inscription on the temple of Apollo at Delph “Know thyself”; which Plato ascribed to the Seven Wise Men, (Protagoras, 343 b). So here are my ‘rough’ seven points for creative bliss:

1) Remember there is nothing new or original, only the tweaking of ideas – everything can be traced back to an original idea or concept.

2) Listen to your inner voice, you don’t have to beat yourself up – be kind to yourself, be true to yourself and work.

3) Believe in yourself – you can do anything.

4) Nothing is beyond you – only you can limit your achievement,

5) Embrace works that don’t work – success or failure are just words, the really important issue here is with out these you don’t learn, and cannot progress.

6) Create the right environment to work, think and reflect.

And the most important for me…

7) Surround yourself with inspirational people

I wish you happy creating.

No comments: