Sunday, 8 March 2009

“I want … !”


Now why I should think of this title, I just do not know. It could be because I felt cold in bed last night. Or perhaps it was my subconscious working over-time; and the cold environment induced the idea of poor Ophelia freezing. Now this sentence has stimulated my mind enough to ponder this question: What do other painters’ discuss when working with their models?

Of course I know with my own models how a discussion progresses. Normally we chat about their life, interests and aspirations. I am one of those fortunate people who can discuss most subjects about life, the universe and everything. Although, I would be the first to admit these discourses are not always on a deep level; but, I am informed enough to ask searching insightful questions about various aspects which affect their life. Such is the special relationship between creator and model I seek to create to put the model at their ease.

So before providing an answer to my question: What do other painters’ discuss when working with their models? I would like to provide a little background information to the great Pre-Raphaelite painting of Ophelia (1851-2) by Sir John Everett Millais, exhibited at Tate Britain, London.

Millais’s inspirational for Ophelia and source is William Shakespeare’s tragedy play Hamlet (cira 1599-1601). Ophelia is the lover of Hamlet who is driven mad when her father, Polonius is murdered by her lover, Hamlet. Millais depiction of Ophelia’s death is based upon the conversation between Queen Gertrude and Ophelia's brother Laertes. Gertrude romantically describes how Ophelia falls into the river whilst picking flowers and slowly drowns as the water gradually and completely envelops her (See Hamlet, Act 1V, Scene V11).

It is rumored that the model was so cold from lying in a bath of cold water for so many hours that is contracted pneumonia and died. She did contract a cold, but later married Rossetti.

How would Millais and Elizabeth Siddell conversation develop?

Liz: I’ve been in here for hours and hours now Jonny, I’m stiff, the water’s cold and the candles have gone out.

She moves to try and achieve a little more comfort in the tight tin bath tub

Millais: Can’t you keep still! You’re the worst model I’ve employed ever, Can’t you keep still for one single minute?

Frustrated he attacks the canvas with a loaded brush

Now look what you have made me done, Great Ruskin, it’s just not working… I can’t connect with you, if you keep moving how can I paint my Ophelia?

Liz: Sorry, but I’m so wet and cold.

Moving again

Millais: That’s it; I can’t take any more of your constant whining. How Ross puts up with your constant moaning I don’t know. After all I’ve provided you with candles to heat the bath water what more do you want?

Liz: I want the candles lit, that would be a start!

No comments: